Saturday, October 30, 2010

Math apps

I lost my parent volunteer this week. I am teaching the struggling to achieve math students for 2nd and 3rd grade. I have them in a class which I focus on using learning targets and tools, standards based lessons, individual and small group instruction, and lots of progress monitoring. Needless to say, my students can be a bit difficult to handle and can be overwhelming. My parent volunteer got overwhelmed.

In any case, I then found myself with having to make a decision on how to make best use of my student's time. How to get small group instruction time in while the other students are engaged on learning? I turned to the itouches.

I already had students meeting on the netbooks for one station using a membership math site that provides field back student skill usage. I was hesistant to have students use another math site on the netbooks. Then I remembered the itouches. I set up a math groups on each itouch. I demonstrated how to find the math apps and how to use them for skill practice.

You know, I am sorry to lose the parent volunteer but it really was an effective way to support their math instruction.

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about your volunteer. Good call on the use of the touches to keep kids engaged while you worked with small groups.

    ReplyDelete